Friday, August 9, 2019

Ghost of East Side Records/Double Nickels Collective [Tempe AZ]


After a week in Palm Desert I made the four hour drive back to Phoenix for one more night of fun before my flight the next morning.  This would be my opportunity to get out and about, see the city a bit, and of course check out some records.

I left Palm Desert by 7am.  Stopped to get gas and Starbucks then didn't touch the brake until around 11am.  Returned the rental car, took the rental car shuttle back to PHX.  Then I called the hotel, took the hotel shuttle and was able to check in early.  I dumped my bag and headed right back out the door.  I walked about 2.5 miles in the heat, stopped for lunch, just so I could get a bike.  Staying on the east side of the airport, Tempe was more accessible then Phoenix so that is where I searched the map.  

It was about a 4 mile ride south to Double Nickels.  I saw two Google Map places next to one another - I knew that it would be unlikely for two record stores to be so near one another and it turns out they are one in the same, just a shop with an identity problem that can't decide what it should be called.

I almost went to another shop in town but in the video description they immediately stated that they sell 'new vinyl'.  Hearing that as the first part of the description is disturbing and I am glad I listened to that, so I didn't go.  I only bring that up because Double Nickels is a mess - and this makes me feel very at home.  Not because my records are a mess (not even close) but this is the kind of record shop I have been to many times before, all over the country.  There were even not one - but two dogs in there! This cute little guy barked like a pitbull but then rubbed up against my hand like a cat.


When I walked in there was some atrocious noisy jazz playing and 4 different people were all chatting, I couldn't even tell who worked there and who was a customer....or maybe just hanging out! It was a good vibe.  I dug through all the jazz but didn't see anything interesting.  I dug around the shop and was more entertained by listening to the other conversations in there than anything else at that point.



They had some bins devoted to punk and hardcore, I leafed through them but nothing caught my eye. There were some boxes in the back marked 'private press' and would you believe I instantly found this thing - tones from home! (I think I am even more impressed that there are 17 releases for this 'artist' on discogs!)


I also spotted another vinyl of interest in the same box.  I started making a list on discogs a while ago for a particular stock cover.  Since then, I've ever had others contribute my messaging me to let me know about others they find in the database.  Well I found a new one in this box! The artist was in the DB but the release was not.  So I took photos and just added it myself.


I ended up walking away empty handed but that's OK.  When I arrived, I looked at the storefront on Southern Ave but realized I was actually looking at the back of the store (technically there is a door, but the shop wasn't using it, meaning I have to walk around back).  There was a fellow standing outside of the coffee shop next door and I asked how the hell I get inside.  He told me to go around back, but said I could cut through his shop, which I did, and thanked him.  When I left Double Nickels, I went back to make good on the favor he showed me.  I sat in the AC for a while, drank some water and also had a double macchiato and a scone.  After that, I made it up to 10 miles by spinning around Tempe in the heat.  It was hot - but not as hot as the desert further west which I already miss!

STATE #39 COMPLETED!


No comments:

Post a Comment