Thursday, September 6, 2018

Burlington Records [Burlington VT]



Vermont - the last state on the entire east coast I have not been to, stopped in, had a meal, worked in, slept in.  The circumstances that set this one up probably will not recur, so I knew I had to take advantage.  I arrived on a Monday set to work on Tuesday about 30 min north.  My colleague picked me up and off we went.  With nary a record in sight to my knowledge in St. Albans, I knew my best bet (only bet) would be Wednesday morning before I got back on my flight.  I took a bus early Wednesday morning south to Burlington and rode around on a bike share for a while, killing time until one of the handful of record stores opened.

After coffee and a scone, I walked over to the shop. I was a bit early so I lollygagged around until 11am for the doors to be unlocked.  I was beginning to toe the line on how much time would be required to get back to the airport and get through security.  I wondered about everyone I saw - was this the owner? But alas they would walk on by.  Finally the proprietor did arrive and I jolted through the doors, the day's first customer.




I have to admit, I didn't give this place a good look over, I had cut it too close so I probably wasn't in the store for more than 10 minutes.  I gave the jazz section a once over but that was about it.  I will say it was a well organized space and clearly popular because even in that 10 minutes a number of other potential clients had already arrived and got to digging themselves.  This was such a cool, fun area I long to return to drink more coffee, ride more bikes and dig yet again in a state so unique and full of joy (at least in my personal memories) that it will be a special time to recount forever.


STATE #35 - COMPLETED!



No comments:

Post a Comment