Sunday, April 22, 2018

Salvation Army, Clearing


I generally will not go out of my way to hit an SA anymore, they are always sad barren places devoid of any good vinyl, and often it seems, don't carry any vinyl at all.

As part of an especially relaxing morning, I got my work done in Marquette Park (where coincidentally I also hit an SA, long ago) in record time.  I saw this place as I approached the intersection and figured what the hell.

The vinyl was junk, save for one semi-interesting (though beat) jazz platter.  I figured I'd glance through the CDs quickly before I left.  I should divulge a short tale regarding CDs.  I have 100s at home in CD books.  Recently at work, we were trying to find information on some storage boxes we bought long ago because we wanted more.  After much internet sleuthery, we found the cases and saw that they must have been purchased at Office Depot.  So my boss ran over to grab another one and he grabbed an extra one for my truck upon my request.  Because as it turns out, these were actually CD/DVD cases (not at all what we were using them for).  So I made a pact with myself to fill that case with some classic albums and then stop there. 

So I've scooped up some interesting stuff at thrift stores and online and I'm a little over half full (I think it holds 20 jewel cases).  Well would you believe I found the first Pat Metheny Group CD here? This is now the 5th PMG album in my little case.  I've had this on vinyl and I shouldn't admit it, but I honestly never listened to it in depth.  Well I have listened to it now extensively, again and again, and realize what a classic it is.  So overall, this was a huge score in a dumpy little store that was, as usual, bereft of good vinyl.





No comments:

Post a Comment